The 2022 Stack Overflow Survey
Welcome from Build & Learn!
In May 2022 over 70,000 developers told us how they learn and level up, which tools they’re using, and what they want.
- Developer Profile
- Learning to code
- Most loved
- Most dreaded
- Most wanted
- Worked with vs Want to work with
- Version Control
- Work / Employment
- Professional Developers
- Daily time spent searching for answers/solutions - 60% spend 30-120 minutes a day
- 88% of Professional Developers code outside of work, with 73% of them coding as a hobby.
- 66% of Professional Developers have at least some influence over their organization’s purchases of new technologies. This is up from 56% in 2020 when we last asked this question. Unsurprisingly, senior-level positions have the greatest amount of influence when purchasing new technologies. But with the exception of students, at least 60% of all developer types have at least some influence on purchasing.
- 85% of developers say their organizations are at least partially remote.
- No other technology is as widely used as Git (93%). Especially among Professional Developers. But for those learning to code, 17% still do not use a version control system.
- With Professional Developers, we see some interest in wanting to use chat and video platforms other than they are using now.
- Ruby is 50/50 loved and dreaded
Follow us on Twitter